Friday, December 3, 2010

A holiday compilation...

It sure has been awhile from the last update. ( I believe I start many blogs with that saying)
Jake and I left for the second trip of the season, this time to Birmingham AL. The drive went wonderfully, we all stayed safe and enjoyed our tight fit in the truck. I was given a few great gifts on the drive, and would love to share them with you.

The first gift I received was the realization that I have become content with my surroundings. I live in a nice apartment, have electricity, running water, Free heat, and food on my table. Now I am not ashamed of those things, but I am saddened that I have forgotten to be thankful for those things. How easy it is to just want more , to believe that I have the right to more. To become more comfortable, and to gain more so my life will become easier. How easily I fall into the trap of consumerism.
While driving to Alabama I was slapped in the face with my disillusion of how our world is. Living in the comforts of Golden Valley, I slowly start to see the world as what I see around me. Boy am I wrong. There is so much poverty around. There is so much we can do. I felt awakened to the realities of life. It made me realize how much I focus on myself. What a battle it is to look out and not just see your own reflection staring back at you, but see humanity and the gifts we have to offer.
I feel like Christmas time has become such a blur in my eyes, it comes and goes and it seems that all that's worried about is what to give and what to get. It truly is a struggle for me, my love language is Gifts, so giving and receiving is a way of showing Love. Although I know there are ways to receive and give selfLESSly. This season I tried to find gifts that I could receive and give that would benefit others. My desire this holiday season is to reflect on the blessings I have and to not desire those things I do not need. May the Lord help me stay focused on His abundance of Love and Mercy.

The second gift I was given on the journey was when we stopped in Cairo Illinois. Jake had to deliver paint for the summer and as we drove through this town I was amazed. Most of it is run down and I mean run down. Buildings half there, streets abandoned, homes hanging on by just a thread, but I felt beauty that is unexplainable. God had delivered us through this town to receive a message, from a young women named Heather. She has been living there for the last 6 years doing full time missions work. Their main work is through intercession prayer. After hearing her story we had a chance to share ours and the words she gave us were beautiful.
 "God does not want you to be confused, He wants to bless you and shine upon you. He will lead you on whatever path you have chosen. He does not want you to feel guilt, only love."
Thank you Heather for sharing the Lords heart. We really needed to hear those words at that moment. May we let them sink in and become real in our hearts.

Here are a few unconventional gifts to give... (just click and it will take you there)
CLEAN water in Africa
Give a cow???
Sponsor a child
Missions in Mexico

No comments: